What is Giants Wizards and Elves?
The Giants, Wizards, and Elves icebreaker is a fun and engaging game that involves two teams assuming the role of either giants, wizards, or elves. Each character has its own set of hand motions and sounds – giants stand on their tiptoes with arms raised while making a growling noise, wizards crouch slightly while waving their fingers and chanting a magical spell, and elves crouch very low while cupping their hands around their ears and producing a high-pitched sound. The purpose of this activity is to promote teamwork, communication, and entertainment in groups of all sizes.
During each round, both teams huddle and choose a character, then line up facing each other. When the leader says “Three, two, one, go!!”, both teams act out their chosen characters. The winning team tries to capture as many members of the losing team as possible by grabbing them and bringing them to their side. If captured, a person now belongs to the other team. The game continues until one team has captured all members of the opposing team.
This icebreaker is not only entertaining but also helps participants learn about each other’s creativity, physical abilities, and strategic thinking. It requires no special materials, making it an ideal activity for any setting. Whether indoors or outdoors, this game is sure to bring laughter and excitement to any group event.
Rules for Giants Wizards and Elves
- Split the group into two teams and have them stand on separate sides of the room.
- Each round, both teams huddle and choose to become either a giant, wizard, or elf by doing the associated hand motions and sounds (growling for giants, finger-waving and saying “Shaazaam!” for wizards, crouching and making a high-pitched noise for elves).
- Both teams line up and face each other, about five or six feet apart.
- At the start of each round, the leader says “Three, two, one, go!!” and both teams act out their chosen character.
- The winning team tries to grab as many members of the losing team as they can and bring them to their side.
- Captured players now belong to the other team.
- The following determines who beats who: giants beat elves, elves beat wizards, and wizards beat giants. If both teams show the same character, no one wins.
- Rounds repeat until one team has captured all members of the other team.
Materials needed for Giants Wizards and Elves
- Hands and voices: To perform the required hand motions and sounds for each character (giants, wizards, and elves).
- Two teams: Divided into separate sides of the room.
- Space: An indoor or outdoor area with enough room for both teams to line up and face each other, about five or six feet apart.
- A leader: To start each round by saying “Three, two, one, go!!”
Setting up for Giants Wizards and Elves
To set up for the Giants, Wizards, and Elves icebreaker activity, follow these steps:
- Find a suitable space: Choose a room or an outdoor area with enough space for two teams to face each other, standing about five to six feet apart.
- Divide participants into two teams: Split the group into two roughly equal-sized teams and have them gather on separate sides of the playing area.
- Teach character motions and sounds: Clearly explain and demonstrate the hand motions and associated noises for each character: Giants, Wizards, and Elves. Have everyone practice these actions until they become familiar and comfortable performing them.
- Team huddle and selection: Instruct both teams to huddle up and secretly choose one of the three characters (Giant, Wizard, or Elf) for that round. Emphasize that the choice should remain a secret until the round starts.
- Position teams: Have each team line up facing each other, leaving enough space between them for players to move around during gameplay.
- Prepare the leader: The leader or facilitator should stand in a visible spot and be ready to initiate each round by saying “Three, two, one, go!!”
Remember that no materials are needed for this icebreaker activity, only space and participants.
How to play Giants Wizards and Elves
- Split the group into two teams: I divided the participants into two groups and designated separate sides of the room for each team.
- Understand the characters: Each team member should learn the hand motions and sounds for giants, wizards, and elves:
- Giants: Stand on your tippy toes, raise your arms, and growl “Rarrr!”
- Wizards: Crouch slightly, wave your fingers, and chant “Shaazaam!”
- Elves: Crouch down low, cup your hands around your ears, and make a high-pitched “Eeeee!” sound.
- Choose characters in a huddle: Each round, have both teams huddle up and secretly choose to become a giant, wizard, or elf.
- Line up and prepare for the game: After choosing, both teams should line up facing each other, about five or six feet apart. I initiated the start of each round by saying “Three, two, one, go!!”
- Perform character actions: Upon hearing “go!”, both teams act out their chosen characters (giant, wizard, or elf).
- Capture opponents: The winning team tries to grab as many players from the losing team as possible and bring them over to their side. Players who are captured join the other team for the remainder of that round.
- Retreat if defeated: Losing team members should attempt to retreat back to their own side to be safe for that round.
- Determine the winner: Use the following rules to determine the winning character:
- Giants beat elves (giants “squash” elves).
- Elves beat wizards (elves outsmart them).
- Wizards beat giants (wizards can “zap” giants with a magic spell).
- If both teams choose the same character, it’s considered a tie.
- Repeat rounds: Continue playing rounds until one team captures all members of the other team.
Benefits of Giants Wizards and Elves
- Encourages physical activity: Giants, Wizards, and Elves is a game that involves movement, helping players to get up and move around. This can be especially beneficial in situations where people have been sitting for long periods of time, such as in a classroom or at a meeting.
- Promotes teamwork: The game requires players to work together in teams, which can help to build trust and cooperation among group members. By working together to choose a character and then trying to capture the opposing team, players learn to communicate and coordinate their efforts.
- Boosts morale and enthusiasm: Giants, Wizards, and Elves is a fun and engaging icebreaker that can help to create a positive and energetic atmosphere. By encouraging players to let loose and act out different characters, the game can help to break down barriers and get people excited about participating in group activities.
- Enhances critical thinking skills: The game requires players to think strategically about which character to choose and how to capture the opposing team. This can help to sharpen critical thinking skills and encourage players to think creatively about how to outsmart their opponents.
- Improves communication skills: In order to be successful in the game, players must be able to clearly communicate with their teammates and coordinate their actions. This can help to improve overall communication skills and build stronger relationships among group members.
Skills built with Giants Wizards and Elves
- Teamwork: Playing Giants, Wizards, and Elves requires coordination and cooperation with team members to choose the right character and strategize capturing the opposing team’s players.
- Decision Making: Each round, participants must quickly decide which character to become based on their strategic assessment of the other team’s choice, promoting critical thinking and quick decision-making skills.
- Physical Activity: The game encourages movement as players act out different characters and attempt to capture opponents, helping to increase physical activity levels.
- Creativity: By acting out the character they choose (giant, wizard, or elf), players have the opportunity to be creative in their movements and sounds, adding a fun and imaginative element to the game.
- Communication: Clear communication within teams is essential for coordinating character choices and capturing opponents, helping participants improve their verbal communication skills.
- Competitive Spirit: Giants, Wizards, and Elves fosters a healthy competitive spirit as players strive to capture the opposing team’s members and ultimately win the game.
Why I like Giants Wizards and Elves
I highly enjoy the Giants, Wizards, and Elves icebreaker due to its engaging nature and versatility. Here are several reasons that make this icebreaker game appealing to me:
- Inclusivity: This game is suitable for groups of all sizes, making it an excellent choice for both small team-building events and large corporate gatherings. Its simple rules ensure that everyone can participate, regardless of their physical abilities or backgrounds.
- Energizing: The game’s dynamic movements and competitive nature help to energize participants, making it an ideal icebreaker to kick off a meeting or conference. It encourages people to interact with each other and have fun, creating a positive atmosphere for the rest of the event.
- Creativity: By requiring players to act out giants, wizards, and elves, this icebreaker allows participants to tap into their creativity and express themselves in a playful manner. This aspect fosters a sense of camaraderie among team members as they work together to strategize and win rounds.
- Easy setup: The game requires no special materials or advanced preparation, making it an easy choice for facilitators. Additionally, its indoor/outdoor flexibility adds versatility, allowing the icebreaker to be adapted to various settings.
- Skill development: Giants, Wizards, and Elves promotes quick decision-making, strategic thinking, and adaptation in a fast-paced environment. These skills are essential for success in both personal and professional life, making this icebreaker a valuable learning experience.
- Laughter and entertainment: The game’s silliness and exaggerated character portrayals are sure to generate laughter and enjoyment among participants. This lightheartedness helps build stronger connections between team members, creating a more cohesive and productive work environment.
In conclusion, the Giants, Wizards, and Elves icebreaker is an engaging, inclusive, and entertaining activity that fosters creativity, skill development, and camaraderie among participants. Its easy setup and versatility make it a popular choice for group events and gatherings of all sizes.
Tips for making Giants Wizards and Elves more inclusive
- Consider adding more character options. By increasing the number of characters to choose from, you can better accommodate a diverse group of players with varying abilities and experiences. Make sure to choose characters that are culturally sensitive and respectful.
- Modify the movements and sounds for accessibility. Some participants might have mobility issues or difficulty making loud noises. Offer alternatives, such as silent gestures or subtle sounds, to ensure everyone can participate comfortably.
- Emphasize the fun and laughter. Encourage players to focus on enjoying themselves rather than winning. This will help create a welcoming atmosphere where everyone feels at ease.
- Provide clear instructions and demonstrate each character. Make sure all participants understand the rules, movements, and sounds associated with each character. Offer additional practice time if needed.
- Mix up teams frequently. Rotate team members regularly to ensure everyone has an opportunity to interact with different people. This will help build connections and foster a more inclusive environment.
- Consider using a random selection process for characters. Instead of having teams huddle and choose their character, use a random method (like drawing cards or rolling dice) to determine each team’s character. This can help prevent potential bias in character selection.
- Encourage respectful interactions. Remind players to treat one another kindly and with respect during the game. Intervene if any participant is consistently being “captured” or left out of the game.
- Be open to feedback and adapt as needed. After playing the game, ask for feedback from participants, particularly those who might have felt excluded or uncomfortable. Use their input to make adjustments and improvements for future sessions.
Reflection questions for Giants Wizards and Elves
- What character did you find yourself choosing most often during the game? This question can help participants reflect on their preferences and tendencies in group settings.
- Did you discover any strengths or weaknesses in your team while playing as different characters? By asking this question, facilitators can encourage players to think about how different roles impact team dynamics and performance.
- How did it feel to be captured by the opposing team? This question allows participants to share their emotions and connect with one another on a deeper level.
- Did you find any strategies that helped your team win rounds? If so, what were they? By reflecting on successful strategies, teams can build upon their strengths and improve future performance in similar activities.
- How might the concepts of “Giants,” “Wizards,” and “Elves” apply to real-world scenarios or challenges you face as a group? This question encourages participants to make connections between the game and their daily lives, fostering deeper understanding and engagement.
About the author
Founder & Chief Icebreaker
I started Icebreaker Spot because I truly believe that strong connections are the foundation of successful teams. I wanted to create a platform that would make it easy for people to find and share icebreakers and team building activities, empowering them to build trust, foster collaboration, and ultimately, achieve greatness together.
Activities you may also like
Keep the fun going with these similar activities.
Discover the thrill of deduction with this entertaining icebreaker game, where you guess famous personalities stuck on your back by asking only yes or no questions.
A thrilling race to line up first in various categories, unleashing laughter and friendly competition!
Discover Fun Facts & Build Connection with These 20 Engaging Icebreaker Questions
Unleash Your Inner Actor and Bond with Your Team in the Ultimate Charades Challenge!
Unleash your inner celebrity with this laugh-filled guessing game!
Unravel the Mystery: A Hilarious Party Game Where You Play Detective to Find Your Famous Alter Ego's Partner!
Get Ready for a Chaotic Game of Memory and Reaction: Identity Theft!
Unleash Chaos & Laughter with this High-Energy Group Game – Wa!
Unleash Chaos with this Zero Prep, Hilarious Group Game – No Dice Needed!